Sunday 3 December 2017

Faith, hope, belief

And what more shall I say? I do not have time to tell about Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, David, Samuel and the prophets.                                                       Heb. 11.32


The writer mentions these people by name, and others who remain nameless. He tells generally of their experiences, and mainly of the testings and the persecutions that they endured (vv 33-38).

Then he says,
These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised (v39).

 Faith is hope; hope is something we don’t see and can’t really envision in the actuality of our surroundings. I believe every Christian has faith. We all live in hope. Some of the things we hope for may come to pass, miraculously, in our lifetime. Others we may not see the fruit of, yet, as with Abraham, they are not lost, dead, or forgotten. The amazing promise God gave to Abraham flourishes still, millennia after his death.

God promises, but the fulfilment of His promise lies with Him. The timing is of His choice. We know the Son will return in glory. No one knows the timing of His return save the Father. Even the Son is unaware of this.

The essence of faith I see as the trust I place in God. He has said, therefore I believe. I hear of miracles occurring for people who have simply believed God. In almost childlike manner they’ve said, “God said so, and it will be so!”

O for a simple faith! Whatever God has for me may I be willing to go forward in Him. Anything He deigns to show me or tell me, may I, in simple faith, believe.



Lord Father,
Strengthen my faith. Please grow a deeper trust in me. Enable me to let go fully to You, to know I am in Your hands.                    Amen.







My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").

No comments:

Post a Comment