Friday 20 October 2017

Trust

And again,
“I will put my trust in him.”
And again he says,
“Here am I, and the children God has given me.”                                              Heb. 2.13


These two quotations are originally found in the book of the prophet Isaiah. In the first one, the Son is declaring His trust in the Father. If I needed it this is great encouragement to me. Throughout His life, Jesus demonstrated the utmost trust in His heavenly Father. Even when He acknowledged His imminent torture and death, He set aside his own wishes in choosing to trust His Father: “Yet not my will, but yours be done.” (Luke 22.42) This is the glorious One who invites me to follow Him.

I have been learning, over several years now, to place my full trust in the Father. Along the way, I have said, “Lord, of course I trust You.” But I know that trust has been incomplete. In recent times, however, I sense that I am getting to that place of putting my whole trust in Him. It is not easy when we are raised in an environment where we are taught and encouraged to do so much for ourselves. It’s as if we’re dissuaded from trusting anyone. Self-reliance is applauded -  and often generates its own rewards! To look to others is often seen as weakness.

My growing trust in God has taken time, and the process is far from weakening. At times it has been quite challenging, and almost scary. But I would not have it any other way. I am honoured to follow my Lord Jesus in this.



Mighty God,
I say that I put my trust in you. I delight to be able to say this. I look to You in all things. I thank You, with all of my being.                        Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment