Saturday 14 October 2017

Tasting death

But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower that the angels, now crowned with glory and honour because he suffered death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.   Heb. 2.9                                                                                                     


What impacts me most from this verse on my present reading is the recognition of Jesus tasting death for everyone. I am brought to wondering what His thoughts might have been in those drawn out moments on the cross.

I know He considered the thieves who were alongside Him. He assured the penitent thief of a future in paradise.

He also interceded for souls saying, “Father forgive them, they don’t know what they are doing.” Was this for those who had worked together to give Him up to such a cruel death? Or was it intended for a wider audience?

I need Jesus’ forgiveness. I would even say that no man or woman who ever lived has not needed Him to forgive them. Were these words, spoken in the final moments of His mortal life, intended for me? After all, He was tasting death on my behalf. What would happen to me if Jesus had not died in my place to release me from the power of sin? This thought could be frightening. But it need not be so, because Jesus did die for me. He rescued me. He saved me. As I turn to Him and endeavour to live as best I can in Him, I am comforted by those same words that brought ease and assurance to the thief on the cross: “I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.” (Luke 23.43)



Lord Jesus,
I thank You. I truly thank You for all You have done for me. In You I have the assurance of eternal life but I also have the joy of living now, each and every day, with You. Thank You.              Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment