Thursday 26 October 2017

Heavenly calling

Therefore, holy brothers, who share in the heavenly calling, fix your thoughts on Jesus, the apostle and high priest whom we confess.                                            Heb. 3.1


What is the heavenly calling? I see it as the call of Jesus when He said, “Come, follow me.” This is both an amazing and a fearsome invitation. How can I possible follow Him?

The writer gives a big clue in this verse. He tells me to fix my thoughts on Jesus. In fixing my thoughts on Him, I become focused. If I continue to do this, He will become fixed in my thoughts and I will be looking to Him in all things.

I notice the behaviour of my grandsons when they want something. It may be a new game or a desire to eat at one of their favourite fast food outlets. Until the request is satisfied – either by fulfilment or by the clearest and most definite rejection – they will speak of nothing else. The topic of their present desire fills their thoughts, and their speech. They not only fix their thoughts on what they want, they also confess it, and often loudly!

In similar way the words of the author here come to fulfilment. I start with my desire for Jesus. This is the strongest desire in me, for my whole life emanates from Him. This desire leads me to fix my thoughts on Him and, as I think so I speak forth. This is my life in Him.

Am I satisfied? I am content, but not necessarily satisfied, for I see that there is more for me. I sense my Lord will draw me closer and take me deeper as I concentrate this focus in Him, and as I maintain it.



Lord Jesus,
Right now I sense Your presence strongly with me. Humbly, I ask for more. Let me focus on You at all times. Draw me to You and take me deeper. Lead me further into the mysteries of heaven. Fill my life.             Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment