Monday 30 October 2017

Courage and hope

Moses was faithful as a servant in all God’s house, testifying to what would be said in the future. But Christ is faithful as a son over God’s house. And we are his house, if we hold on to our courage and the hope of which we boast.                              Heb. 3.5,6
                                                                                                                       

These words present Moses to be as a forerunner. He shows the way. He testifies to what is to come. His role is that of servant.

Then Christ comes as Son, a son over God’s house. He is the leader of the house. He is the head over the body, the body of Christ.

I am part of the house, His body. But there are requirements of me put forward by this writer. I am to hold on to courage. This is a very personal thing. Indeed, the text uses the personal adjective for this. It is my courage. It will not suffice for me to trade on the courage of another. There may be times when I am called on to display courage. This will be a challenge to my own spirit and being.

I am also required to hold to the hope that is the boast of believers. Two questions come to me here. Firstly, what is this hope? And secondly, do I truly boast of it?

The hope I have is the promise of joyful eternal life. But it is not an “out there” hope. I live this life right now. I journey with Jesus every day. He is alive and my life with Him is joyous – now! My “boasting” of this is not what some would consider as such. It is the assured confidence with which I live. I share this, willingly, with any who are responsive.



Lord Jesus,
I consider myself to be a definite part of Your house. I hold to the hope of eternity whilst I live out that hope in the present.
My life, imperfect as it is, is my “boast” in You. I love You. I live for You.                Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment