Friday 6 October 2017

My Son...my son

For to which of the angels did God ever say,
“You are my Son; today I have become your Father.”?   
Or again,
“I will be his Father, and he will be my Son.”?                                               Heb. 1.5


We are reminded of the divine relationship in this verse. It is clearly given to us: Son and Father, Father and Son.

The author is quoting Old Testament Scripture, both Psalms and Prophets in his references here. Christ was the fulfilment of prophecy. He is declared positively as the Son of God.

As I   read the gospels and identify the several references to Jesus removing Himself to a solitary place where He can commune with the Father, something of the richness of this Father/Son relationship comes through to me. This was how Jesus fostered His relationship while He was on earth.

Another aspect of the Father /Son relationship reaches out and embraces me. Jesus affirms me as a child of God. I too am a son of the heavenly Father.

Jesus now enjoys full communion with the Father. One day I hope to know this same experience. Meanwhile, I follow the example that Jesus set when He was on earth. I take myself into a quiet place, I rest my soul, open my heart and spirit, and invite the Father to draw me to Him in intimacy and the sweetest communion.



Holy Father,
As I read the words spoken over Your Son, I hear them afresh spoken over me: “You are my son; today I have become your Father.”
Gracious God, I place myself at Your feet. I open myself up fully to You. Draw me to Yourself. Take me deeper in sweet relationship. Share precious moments with me as my Father. Let me truly be Your son. I ask this in Jesus’ name.                       Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment