Monday 16 October 2017

Suffering

In bringing many sons to glory, it was fitting that God, for whom and through whom everything exists, should make the author of their salvation perfect through suffering.                                                                                                                       Heb. 2.10


I think I can confidently say that the way to salvation is through suffering. We all receive the precious gift of glory through the suffering of our Lord Jesus Christ.

But sometimes personal suffering meets me on my journey to freedom and wholeness. This is not something I like to admit and certainly not something I would volunteer to embrace.

This word tells me that Jesus was made perfect through suffering. I believe that Jesus always was perfect. However, I’m taking from this scripture the encouragement that the suffering I may experience can work in my journey towards perfection.

All actions have an outcome. There may be a number of outcomes following the action of suffering. One I see clearly is to be defeated, to miserably wallow in failure or inability, and, likely, to be angry at our lot in life, and even be tempted to blame God.

I see also another response. I can embrace the suffering and look for Jesus in it. I have His promise that He will never leave me and, surely, He knows all about suffering. I can draw strength from Him. I can seek His joy even in the midst of suffering, or perhaps I should say especially in the midst of suffering.



Lord Jesus,
I am reminded of how You suffered for me. I do not seek out suffering experiences for myself, but if they should occur, I ask You to strengthen me, to encourage me and to share with me the joy that will get me through. I truly look forward to the ongoing journey with You. I thank You. Hallelujah!                            Amen.





My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").



No comments:

Post a Comment