Thursday 3 October 2019

The right fast

“Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: 
to loose the chains of injustice 
and untie the cords of the yoke, 
to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? 
Is it not to share your food with the hungry 
and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter – 
when you see the naked, to clothe him, 
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood.”           Isa.58.6,7


The Israelites cry out to God for help, but their cry and their attitude are not sincere, for they go their own way, doing what they want to do. God, through Isaiah, responds identifying their hypocrisy and declaring their rebellion. The Israelites remonstrate, claiming their efforts in fasting in order to gain God’s attention and action.

Their fasting is superficial and greatly flawed. As they fast, they do as they please. They exploit workers, and the fast ends in quarrelling and strife. This fast is not acceptable to God. He proceeds to outline the kind of fast He looks for, and its outcomes. These outcomes are for justice and help for those who need it: freedom from oppression; the breaking of unhealthy yokes; sharing of food, provision of shelter, and clothing of the naked. The people are further required to embrace and help their own flesh and blood.

This is what God sees as the result of a genuine fast. There is no shallowness here, but sincerity.

I have difficulty in fasting. My focus can so readily turn from prayer to food. There is much I would desire to see God do as a result of my fast. I surely need His help.



Mighty God,
These verses clearly show me the difference between an insincere fast and one that is genuine. I would like to present myself genuinely before You.
Lord, I have difficulty fasting. I get hungry and I lose concentration. I need a greater desire to bypass food and give myself over completely to my connection with You. I ask for Your help in this, in Jesus’ powerful name.                 Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment