Wednesday 9 October 2019

Out of the darkness

“If you do away with the yoke of oppression, 
with the pointing finger and malicious talk, 
and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry 
and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, 
then your light will rise in the darkness, 
and your night will become like the noonday.”               Isa.58.9b,10


The first part of verse 9 (previously considered) sees me crying out to God and seeking His help. He answers me with the affirmative “Here am I.” He encourages me to be rid of negativity and criticism. Verse 9 continues with God’s further encouragement to positive action, to do away with what is not good nor helpful, and to replace these things with positive action that helps people, that brings a measure of satisfaction through provision in their lives. God tells me, as I do this my light will rise in the darkness, and that very darkness will become as light and bright as the noonday sun.

I see all of this as part of the Christian life. These words, delivered centuries before Christ arrived on earth, foretell and endorse this witness to the world. They further set an example for all Christians to follow. And they speak clearly and deeply to me today.

God, through Isaiah, tells me that my light will rise in the darkness. I am immediately drawn to the words of Jesus: “…let your light shine before men that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.”(Matt. 5.16) I have always thought of this verse as allowing the light of Jesus to shine out through me. I hope this is so. If I can shine the light of Christ I will be truly blessed.

I believe that good works alone will not get a person into God’s holy presence, but good works in Christ is a most wonderful blessing.



Lord Jesus,
I thrill at the prospect of Your light shining in me and through me. I pray for the reality of this in my life. Fit me, if You will, to receive Your light and to spread it wherever I go. And, please, allow me to ask for more.           Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment