Friday 18 October 2019

Realisation?

We all growl like bears;
we mourn mournfully like doves.
We look for justice, but find none; 
for deliverance, but it is far away.               Isa 59. 11


The people together with the prophet declare their wrongdoing before God. They admit that justice and righteousness are far from them, that darkness leads them to walk in deep shadow like blind people, and they stumble in the light of midday as they would at twilight.

As the above verse states, they confess their errant behaviour, they acknowledge their rebellion and treachery against God, and the lies they have held in their hearts. They admit to a lack of justice and righteousness in their lives, and they admit also that they will carry their offences and iniquities ever with themselves. At first glance, it appears that they have realised their errors and brought themselves before God in confession.

As I read these actions, I see the repentant nature of the people or, at least, I hope this is what I am seeing. Are they genuine in their response? Previously (chapter 58), their shallow and insincere responses were noted. They did not fool God – and neither do we if we attempt to come to Him with anything other than the truth. God will see through all our attempts to wriggle through the challenges He gives regarding our commitment to Him. 

I love my Lord, and I hold the strongest desire to honour Him, to respect Him and follow His ways for me and, further, to please Him and delight Him. I have said a number of times before that I do not always succeed, but I will not give up trying.


Lord, Mighty God,
I believe I have learnt from this account of the Israelites behaviour. I ask You to continue teaching me. Let me know Your ways and let me be willing to follow them wholeheartedly wherever they might lead me, and whatever they might ask me to do. I offer myself to this end out of the deep and sweet love I have for You. Amen.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment