Tuesday 22 October 2019

Missing

So justice is driven back, 
and righteousness stands at a distance; 
truth has stumbled in the streets, 
honesty cannot enter. 
Truth is nowhere to be found,
and whoever shuns evil becomes a prey.                        Isa 59. 14, 15a

The transgressions of the Israelites are clearly and unequivocally stated. It would appear that they confess these failings themselves: “our offences,” “our sins.” Their iniquities include rebellion and treachery against God, turning their backs on Him; fomenting oppression and revolt; and uttering lies originating in their very hearts. Indeed, their list of offences is long, and heavily against the ways of God.

There is a marked, negative impact to these confessions: justice disappears, righteousness is distanced, truth stumbles, and honesty is shut out, barred. Anyone who stands against these actions and activities, who shuns evil, becomes a target for abuse, maybe even persecution.

The transgressions listed and confessed by the Israelites deny the very qualities that emanate from the Lord God. These qualities tell us who He is, and they ought to be taken up and followed by us. Without them we are not genuine and truthful followers of our Lord Jesus Christ. We displease God (and “displease” is, perhaps, too mild a word in this context.) God looks on all of my activities – my thinking, my speaking, and my doing. I would not wish to be placed as these ancient Israelites were. Let me aim for obedience to God and to all He requires of me.




Most pure Father,
Please help me to learn from these ancient people of Yours. Let me learn and allow myself to be led by You in the right way. I thank You for this clear lesson. Christ demands a good behaviour of me. I desire to fulfil this requirement. Again I give myself to You. I can do nothing apart from You. I call out to You in surrender. I thank You.                Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment