Friday 16 June 2017

Unique

I have no one like him who will be genuinely concerned for your welfare.      Phil. 2.20                                                                                                                                               


In this short sentence Paul tells much about Timothy. He rightly suggests Timothy’s uniqueness (no one like him) for, indeed, we are all unique. Yet I sense that Timothy is not only unique but also special to Paul -  there is no one else just like Timothy for Paul.

Paul then shares something of Timothy’s nature and character with us. He will be genuinely concerned for the welfare of the Philippians. I am impacted by the word “genuinely” in this context. I have seen, sadly even in Christian circles, concern shown but then deflected by a change in circumstance, focus or opportunity. Genuine concern does not waver. It is constant. It is true, and it is never withheld.

I like the sound of Timothy. I think Paul has been blessed to know him as a disciple and as a friend.

It is always good to know friends that are trustworthy and caring. I have such friends myself and I pray that I am also such a friend to them. The world is in as much need of caring people today as ever it was. I pray that the Christian community will show the way here. And may it be as I discern Timothy to be – without guile or self-centredness, rather with the love and enabling of the Father.



Almighty God,

You are the fount of love. I thank You for the person of Timothy. May I be like him in trustworthiness and genuine concern for others.

I pray for believers everywhere that we may show love and compassion to the world. May we be seen to be different, in the most wonderful way. Hallelujah!          Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment