Sunday 18 June 2017

True followers?

All of them are seeking their own interests, not those of Jesus Christ.            Phil. 2.21


Oh dear! How sad, and how true! Paul said this as applicable in his day, but sadly it is as relevant today as it was then.

And the church, the Christian community, is not excepted. For over two thousand years the church has known leaders, not all leaders I’ll grant, who have sought their own interests, not those of Jesus Christ.

The malaise continues. It has done and still does much harm. The reality of Jesus is often obscured by human desire and ambition. And hurt ensues. Whilst it might be the followers who are responsible for the hurt, the reaction to it is often against the head, Jesus – God Himself. What an injustice! And how dishonouring to God and to those who genuinely seek to follow Christ.

If I am following someone in the natural but then take my eyes off them, I will lose them. So it is in the spiritual. My conviction and commitment to follow Jesus requires me to keep my eyes constantly on Him. This has consequences beyond simply “seeing” Him. To me, this means following Him as closely as I can; being as much like Him as I am able to be in my human frailty; and turning to Him, pressing into Him when I sense the lower order of the flesh threatens to lead me astray.

If I am sincere about the interests of Jesus Christ, I must hold to Him with all I am able.



Lord Jesus,


I can speak only for myself. Take me and make me truly Your own. I ask this in Your powerful and loving name.               Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment