Saturday 24 June 2017

Hope and trust

… and I trust in the Lord that I will come soon.                                             Phil. 2.24
                       

Paul has expressed his hope that Timothy may visit the Philippians. Now he shares his trust that God will make a way for him also to reach Philippi.

In hope, he is wishing for something. He is hopeful in expectation of its fulfilment. I see this as something within Paul. He, as it were, encourages himself to expect a certain result.

But now, he’s talking about trust. In trust he’s placing his reliance on God. He’s seeing in God the ability to bring forth a certain action. It’s like trust is a step further on from hope. Hope may be entirely within me, but trust can often involve another, something or someone external to me.

I can hope for all manner of things, in as wide a variety as my imagination allows. Trust, I suggest, is somewhat more prudent. To trust, I need a knowledge and confidence in “the other”.

Paul’s trust is in the Lord. I likewise place my trust in God. I have a certain knowledge of Him. But, more than this, I have experienced Him and the experience has assured my confidence in Him. His ways are not always my ways, but His way is the one I choose because I have seen its benefits to me. God will not always do what I hope for. Yet I will trust Him for I know the love He has for me and His desire to bless me.



Lord God, Loving Father,

I hope for many things, but I trust for just this: that You will have Your way in my life. I cannot rely on myself. I can rely on You, and I do so.

Have Your way in me, Lord. And let me not get in the way!          Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment