Thursday 22 June 2017

Hope … and certainty!

I hope therefore to send him as soon as I see how things go with me;             Phil. 2.23
                                   

Paul can’t be sure that he will send Timothy to visit the Philippians. He mentions his own situation. This might suggest his own ongoing need for Timothy to be with him, or it might mean he’s hopeful of release from prison that would enable him to visit Philippi in person.

Meanwhile, Paul holds to the hope that he has. Although abstract and intangible, Paul’s hope is somehow solid. It is a sensing inside him for good to come. Hope is a wonderful thing. In times of darkest threat many have been encouraged by hope. It can sway us in difficult and demoralising times to make a decision of positive impact, to choose to persevere and plough on.

Paul is unsure. I am unsure. Nobody can be sure in this life, where so much lies beyond our control.

But, like Paul, I can hold a hope inside me that encourages me to expect good things. I can express my hope to God, in prayer, and look to Him for support, encouragement and companionship. Paul did not have an easy life. My life has not experienced the depths of testing and trial that I read of with Paul. Nevertheless, I’ve known difficulties and suffering. I can share these with God and hope for improvement.

What I do not need to hope for, but know without any doubt, is that God is with me. He has told me so: “…remember, I am with you always… (Matt. 28.20). I am content in this.



Lord,

I thank You for Your many promises. Today I remind myself that You are with me always. I express, and share with You, my hope for a more Christ-likeness to grow in me. I make this my prayer.                  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment