Tuesday 20 June 2017

Father and son

But you know that Timothy as proved himself, because as a son with his father he has served with me in the work of the gospel.                                                            Phil. 2.22


Paul expresses a most wonderful relationship between himself and Timothy. He identifies with Timothy as a father with a son. Sadly, many fathers and sons do not enjoy good relationships. This is not what Paul is conveying. I sense he experienced a relationship of the utmost Godly nature with Timothy. So much so that they worked in excellent partnership. I see this as proof of the strength and solidity of their relating.

And the common work that they shared was that of the gospel message of Jesus Christ. They undoubtedly preached but, I suggest, their living relationship was as strong a testimony to the gospel of love and grace as any persuasive words they might have spoken.

Paul talks of Timothy’s worth. This gets me wondering about my possible, even potential, worth. Am I being taken by God into the greatest worth to Him? Indeed, have I given myself to Him to this end, and made myself freely available? I believe I have, but I can repeat and re-affirm my willingness in this.



Mighty God,

I pray that I have a worth, not only in Your eyes but also to the ministry of the Gospel. I give myself anew to You. I invite You to lead me in whatever way You would for me. May I work with You in holy partnership.

I acknowledge the hindrance of the flesh and I surrender this to You. I ask You to lead me through. May my love for You shine stronger that the temptation of the enemy.

You are my Father. May I be a good son.                  Amen.







My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").

No comments:

Post a Comment