Wednesday 14 June 2017

Be glad ...

… and in the same way you also must be glad and rejoice with me.                  Phil. 2.18


Paul is glad in the realisation that he is being used by God for the salvation of others. I feel he could easily have chosen to see injustices in his life and ministry and majored on them. Instead his choice was a deliberate one to be glad (in all things) and to rejoice. There is a lesson here for all who genuinely seek to follow Jesus.

But there is more, for Paul also invites those he is in communion with to join him in his rejoicing and gladness. It could be easy for them to see his suffering and be dismayed. The contrary act of rejoicing is a positive alternative but one which, I feel, requires focus and, again, the deliberate exercise of choice.

In this instance I see Paul encouraging the Philippians to make this choice. If they were undecided in any way, Paul’s words would have been most helpful.

Community is at work throughout. Paul rejoices in his experiences. He encourages the Philippians to join with him. Together they will bond, and the bond will become stronger. And all of this in the precious name of Jesus.

Today it is easy for me to be glad and rejoice. There may be times when it is not so easy. On those days may I remember my sweet affinity with Jesus and the family He has led me into. May this encourage me and spur me on to gladness and rejoicing.



Lord Jesus,

I treasure the relationship I have with You and those I have with others in Your name. I lay these relationships before You and seek Your protection and blessing on them all. May Your love permeate my very being and every doing.                            Amen.







My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").


No comments:

Post a Comment