Wednesday 28 June 2017

Long suffering

Then they returned to Lystra, Iconium and Antioch, strengthening the disciples and encouraging them to remain true to the faith. "We must go through many hardships to enter the kingdom of God," they said.              Acts 14. 21b. 22


Luke relates how Barnabas and Paul visited Lystra and ministered to the people there. Paul healed a crippled man. The crowds acclaimed the two visitors as gods, but Barnabas and Paul tore their clothes when they heard of this. They declared themselves to be only human, and they shared the good news of the living God. But some Jews came from Antioch and Iconium and persuaded the crowd against Barnabas and Paul. Paul was stoned and left for dead. He was not dead, however, and the next day he and Barnabas returned to Derbe. There they preached the good news and won a large number of disciples. Following this, they ministered to the disciples at Lystra, Iconium and Antioch.

Paul was not using empty words when he encouraged the disciples to remain true to the faith despite the hardships they might be subjected to. Paul had experienced such hardships first hand. His experience, in total, likely surpassed the suffering of many another believer.

When a person connects with God there is no magical assurance of a trouble free life. Indeed, the opposite may well be the case. God's ways appear to be so different to the ways of the world. The true God-followers may face ridicule, indifference or even persecution for their faith. I believe God's promises ought to be prominent in the midst of any suffering: "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." (Heb. 13.5); "And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." (Matt. 28.20 b)



Lord Jesus,
I hold close to You. I know not whether there are sufferings that I may be called on to endure in Your name. What I do know is that You have suffered in the extreme, and You did it for me.
If there is suffering, help me, please, to endure and to win through. Your love for me brought You through the sufferings that others imposed on You. May my love for You cause me to hold fast , to look to You, and to remember that You are always with me. You will lead me through the suffering; You will strengthen me and uphold me; You will pray to the Father for me. Thank You.     Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment