Saturday 10 June 2017

Blameless

… so that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, in which you shine like stars in the world.                                                                                                                                             Phil. 2.15


Is this a reward? It shines out like an ideal. John tells us we can become children of God as we receive Jesus and believe in His name. Paul, I sense, is relating what happens when we follow through the reality of receiving Jesus and believing in His name.

Such a step cannot be without effect in us. My idea of receiving, of accepting, Jesus is that a desire arises in me to be the best I can be in following Him.

This is a big ask, for many of the world’s ways today are alien to the Christ way. These same worldly ways have an easy ability to impede the Christian in the walk to be true to Jesus. In the previous verse, Paul exhorts actions carried out without murmuring and arguing. This is part of the new life, but there is much more.

The divide between the world and the Christian Way can cause the true believer to appear “different”. This is a very real difference which needs to be accepted and lived by the believer. God’s Word is clear, we are called to shine like stars in the world. For this we need help that is out of this world.



Lord God,

I want to be true to Your will and the way of Jesus. I give myself to this aim. I have joined myself to Jesus in inseparable partnership. Come, Lord Jesus, and lead me forward in the way of love, truth and righteousness. Strengthen me when I am weak. Lift me when I fall. Enjoy me as I overcome. Walk with me, please, every step of the way.               Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment