Monday 2 September 2019

The Gift


Yet it was the LORD’s will to crush him and cause him to suffer, and though the LORD makes his life a guilt offering, he will see his offspring and prolong his days, and the will of the LORD will prosper in his hand.             Isa. 53.10



Jesus lived to do the will of God. In everything He said and did, He sought God’s way. Jesus died to do the will of God. There was a moment of hesitation: “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me.” (Luke 22.42a) Momentarily He sought to avoid the cup of suffering. But the moment passed, and He affirmed His obedience to the Father’s will: “…yet not my will, but yours be done.” (Luke 22.42b)

God the Father needed to crush the Son in order to save the world from sin. The crushing brought suffering for He was being made a guilt offering. He gave Himself to this purpose. But the suffering did not last, the sacrifice was a one-off act. Jesus died, but He defeated death, along with sin, the flesh and the devil.

Jesus now lives with the Father in glory, in power, strength and majesty. And, like the Father, He is filled with love.

Isaiah foresees that the Chosen One will see His offspring. Whilst He did not have offspring in the natural, Jesus has countless offspring in the spiritual. He loves each and every one. I have difficulty understanding this with my limited thinking. It is too much for me to take in. However, this is the truth.

Jesus’ days will be prolonged. As the Christ, He will live forever. As He leads His “offspring”, together with the heavenly host, the Father’s will most surely will prosper.

Nothing of human activity deserved the wonderful gift of salvation that Jesus gave. This was an act of love. How blessed we are.



Lord Jesus,

Despite our miserable and sinful state, You gave Yourself in order to save us. On behalf of all humanity I thank You. I come before You in humility and thanksgiving for what You have done for me. I am undeserving, yet You have made me worthy. I thank You.                  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment