Thursday 19 September 2019

Be prepared

This is what the LORD says:
“Maintain justice and do what is right, 
for my salvation is close at hand 
and my righteousness will soon be revealed. 
Blessed is the man who does this, 
the man who holds it fast, 
who keeps the Sabbath without desecrating it, 
and keeps his hand from doing any evil.”                     Isa.56.1,2


I hear a call to preparation through these words. God says His salvation is close at hand and His righteousness will soon be revealed. Does this mean a very real sighting of Him is close? Will He soon return to earth in splendour and glory? Or are these personal words for individuals that they might soon be taken to join with Him in all eternity? Are these words for me?

My brain tumour “adventure” of last year has brought the question of human mortality into greater focus to me. This does not mean that I am constantly taken up with it, but it does somehow urge and encourage me to “be prepared”. None of us know when our earthly life will end, but it is well to be ready at any time.

I believe God is saying here: “Prepare yourself; make yourself a true believer by aiming to be the free person I really want you to be – the person I created you to be. Set aside those thoughts, words, habits and actions that hinder your journey of righteousness. If I am “close at hand”, you may know that Jesus is near you. Follow Him as He invited you to do. He lived to obey and please me in all things. He (I) ask you to follow. You will not achieve His perfection in this earthly life, but take heart, and do your best. Always do your best. You may have no idea how this delights me. One day you will see.”



Holy Father,
I accept these words which I see as the most wonderful reminder of the sweet relationship we have. I yearn to enjoy it to the full. I give myself afresh to be the best I can be for You. I often fail, and I am sorry. Please forgive me, and lead me on to follow Jesus. Hallelujah!          Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment