Thursday 26 September 2019

Life?

The righteous perish, 
and no one ponders it in his heart; 
devout men are taken away, 
and no one understands 
that the righteous are taken away 
to be spared from evil.                                        Isa. 57.1


Here, surely, is the answer to age-old questions. Why did God take this man in the prime of his life? Why did He allow this woman to die? She was a mother with young children, a beautiful Christian and a devoted presence in the church. This child had its whole life before him, why did God cut him down before he had even started living properly? What is God up to? Does He know what He is doing?

These questions are not unusual. And I feel sure they have been asked for generations. Yet, whilst people readily pour out accusations and questions to God, how many, I wonder, stop to seriously consider God’s actions and why He would cut short the lives of so many good, promising and worthwhile lives?

I am tempted to say, “Who are we to question Almighty God?”At the same time, I think it’s good for us to ask. God, indeed, says to us, “If you need anything, ask for it.” “You do not have because you do not ask God.”We would really like answers to questions we ask. In this case I see God’s answer.

Just a couple of chapters earlier in Isaiah’s writings, God alludes to His sovereignty over His creation: “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the LORD. “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.”(Isa. 55.8,9)

There is something of an invitation, or certainly an encouragement to look and investigate further from these words: no one ponders it in his heart and no one understands. Why, I wonder, is this? Perhaps we do not want to know. We may be so grief stricken that all we can think of is God’s meanness, unfairness, and, maybe, retribution. However, this is not so. God, through Isaiah, gives us His answer: the righteous are taken away to be spared from evil. When we see good people do we consider that they may ever be tempted by evil? I believe the truthful answer is: “Yes, most certainly!” When a man or woman – or child – walks with God, they are targets for the enemy. The evil one is out to get all who are a threat, and let us remember that God has granted Satan a certain amount of power on earth. But the powers of evil are limited, and God has the ultimate power, and the answer.

My greatest desire is to join fully with my Lord in relationship, love and glory. This will only happen when I leave this earth and meet with Him in the heavenly realms. Only then will I be spared from the threats of evil. Then I will know the joy of life, of eternal, endless life in the company of my Creator, and my true and loving Father.

Will I be sad to leave this earth? I will be sad for the beautiful people I will leave behind. I shall miss them, but I fully believe that the separation will be temporary. Will I feel for their loss, especially if there is any measure of reliance by them upon me? I see this as grievous. My instinct to provide and protect is as strong as my desire to love and care for. Yet, again, I hold God’s thoughts and ways to be above mine. God’s thoughts come through to us, often, in words. I take the words of Paul who clearly says: “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”(Rom. 8.28) Paul says we know, but do we truly know? We can be so caught up in our own loss and grief that we blame God whereas, maybe, we should be thanking Him for sparing our loved ones from evil. There have been happenings in my life when I have cried out to God claiming that I cannot possibly see any good coming out of the situation and events. Sometimes it has been many years later that I have seen the good that God has wrought.

However much we may grieve over our loss – and it is our loss – let us thank God that He has saved our loved ones, and taken them home to where they are meant to be.



Lord God, Loving Father,
There is much You do that I don’t understand. The questions of suffering and premature death have puzzled and perplexed me for a long time. I receive Your answer that, in taking people home, You are rescuing them and saving them from the horrors of sin. Thank You.                 Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment