Tuesday 17 September 2019

Accomplished and achieved

…so is my word that goes out from my mouth: 
It will not return to me empty, 
but will accomplish what I desire 
and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.                  Isa.55.11


Yesterday’s verse, beginning with the word, “As…” requires a complement to tell us what “as” means in this context, that is, what is it that can be compared with the rain falling from heaven that feeds the crops and produces a harvest? The answer comes from the verse that follows (verse 11).

God’s Word is likened to the rain. The falling rain produces a physical harvest. God’s Word brings forth a spiritual harvest. As God’s Word is spoken forth (goes out from my mouth), it will not be without purpose. It will not return empty to God.

God’s word embraces God’s will, and God’s will shall fulfil whatever the maker determines. It will accomplish the desires of God, and it will achieve the purpose for which it is sent.

God’s Word is contained in His Holy Scriptures. These are available to all, yet not everyone reads them or takes notice of what they say. This is where believers become involved. We are instructed to make disciples (Matt. 28.19). We do this by sharing our experiences of God, by declaring our testimony to others (Rev. 12.11). I don’t see this as needing us to patrol the streets and badger people to the point of aggression. Rather, I see it as simply sharing with others what God has done for us. 

There may be times when we feel that God has done nothing at that time, almost as if He has forgotten us. He has not! He works for the good in all things (Rom. 8.29). We may have to wait for the good to become obvious, and sometimes the wait might be long. However, I believe God will always come through.



Loving Father,
I look to Your Word and all that it declares of You. I look for opportunities to share Your Word. I pray for alertness to hear, for wisdom to discern, and for boldness to declare. Thank You.          Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment