Sunday 15 September 2019

The Right Way

Let the wicked forsake his way
 and the evil man his thoughts. 
Let him turn to the LORD, 
and he will have mercy on him, 
and to our God, for he will freely pardon.            Isa. 55.7


This verse gives me the simplicity of salvation. In very few words, and most effectively said, the one who is caught up in worldly ways of wickedness and evil (and these do not have to be extreme) need simply turn to God, forsake their sinful ways, and our merciful God will freely give pardon. He will draw the forgiven sinner into sweet relationship with Himself.

I like the simple definition of sin that James gives: Anyone who knows the good he ought to do and doesn’t do it, sins. (James 4.17) I think we all know when we are doing something we ought not to be doing but, if we are ever unsure, we simply ask God: “Lord, am I doing what You want me to do?”

When the quoted verse mentions “the wicked” and “the evil”, I do not take this to mean the most wicked, or the most evil. I think it applies to anyone who does not do the right thing. This, of course, applies to me. There are times when I do better than at other times. There are times when I know that I am not doing what is pleasing to God, and yet I do it! Will He forgive me? I really think so. When I come to Him in confession and repentance, am I sincere? Again, I think so – even though I might repeat my mistake.

I have no delusion about being perfect. This applies to Jesus alone in the earthly realm. However, I endeavour to be the best I can be for God, and this is because I love Him. I sense His great love for me, and I wish to return my love to Him in joyful celebration.


Most Wonderful God,
I sincerely thank You for the mercy You show, and the forgiveness 
You give. I know that I do not always please You in what I think, say, or do. I ask You to help me to do better, to please and delight You more, for this is my desire. I thank You that I can come to You with this. I thank You for listening.          Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment