Sunday 29 September 2019

Upright

Those who walk uprightly enter into peace; 
they find rest as they lie in death. 
“There is no peace,” says my God, “for the wicked.”     
                          Isa.57.2,21

These two separate verses illustrate the different outlooks of those who seek to be good and those who indulge in evil. I say “seek to be good” for this is all that we can do. We are not able to “make” ourselves good, but simply seek to be as good as we are able. We are called to walk uprightly.

Walking uprightly describes well the characteristics of the godly person. Of course, the first essentials are to love God with all of you being and to love your neighbour as you would wish to be loved yourself. To these we might add the qualities of honest dealings and general good conduct, an open approach to all things, sincerity, friendliness and helpfulness. We may encourage others in these traits, so long as we display them in ourselves.

As we are told, these qualities of life will lead us to enter into peace. We may know this peace in life and in death. Peace is a gift that is precious to me. I believe Jesus gave me a personal gift of peace some years ago. I have embraced it. There are times when I need to remind myself that I have His peace. On many occasions, I have prayed the peace of Jesus for others. I see peace as essential to the Christian life.

Isaiah also shows us the other side of the coin. The wicked will not know peace. They may find a measure of satisfaction in the earthly life, but there will be a distinct lack of peace for them in eternity.

As in many, if not all, cases, we have a choice. I choose the upright way. I am not always “upright” in my walk, thinking and behaviour. But with God’s help. I will give it my best efforts.



My Lord,
I choose uprightness and I ask for Your help in following this path. Be with me, please, when I falter. Show me the right way and lead me in it. Let me ever know the assurance of Your peace. Thank You.       Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment