Monday 1 April 2019

The Shepherd

“I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep. All who ever came before me were thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture.”                                John 10. 7-9, (see also John 10.1-21)


Jesus is the good shepherd. In New Testament times the role of the shepherd was perhaps more fully understood than it is today. The shepherd was totally connected to his sheep. Each shepherd identified with his own flock. He named each one of his sheep. He called them by their names, and they responded. The sheep knew the voice of their shepherd. They would not respond to a stranger. The sheep would follow their shepherd and he would look after them to the death. Indeed, he would die for them if necessary.

Jesus said:
“I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me…”(v14)

He is talking here of a deep mutual knowledge. He compares His relationship with His sheep to the relationship He has with His Father.
“… just as the Father knows me and I know the Father…” (15a)

This is truly special. It is so special that He is prepared to die for His sheep.
“…and I lay down my life for the sheep.”(v15b)

This He did, giving Himself for His sheep, for as many as will receive Him.

I love Jesus. I am grateful for the sacrifice He made that restored me to the Father. I thank Him for, and seek to deepen, my relationship with Him. I want to get closer to this precious shepherd. I want to experience a connection with Him such as He has with the Father. God’s Word tells me this is possible.


Lord Jesus,
Your own words tell me that I can know You and You know me in the manner that You and the Father know each other. I seek this, Lord. Daily I look for a closer communion with You. You are my Saviour and Lord. You are my shepherd, my dearly loved keeper. You are my Brother, Friend and Lover. What an amazing relationship we share.
I come to You to share this day with You. Draw me to You. Come with me through the day, in Your precious name I ask.         Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment