Saturday 20 April 2019

Acceptance

Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God.                    Rom. 15.7


As I read these words of Paul they remind me of Jesus’ words:
“A new command I give to you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.  (John 13.34,35)

This is not a suggestion by Jesus. It is a command. Strong’s (1785) tells me this is an injunction:
         Entole – authoritative prescription.
In law, an injunction is a court order prohibiting something. It is as if Jesus is prohibiting us not to love one another. He might be saying: “I order you to love one another as I have loved you. You are prohibited from not doing this.”
These are strong words, and to be seriously heeded. 

Then I have to consider the love of Christ. Each time I think of this, the most exquisite sensation comes to me. I can think of nothing to compare with His love. It comforts me; it strengthens me; it purifies me; it delights me. It is like nothing else I have experienced. It overwhelms and overpowers me. How could I possibly emulate this and love others as He does? In myself I know I cannot, yet I know His Word that says, “I can do everything through him who gives me strength.” His Word also says: Ask and you will receive.



Lord God,
I thank You for Paul’s encouragement to accept others as Christ accepted me. This reminds me of the command that Jesus gave me to love others.
I know I do not have the personal ability to do this. But I believe in Your Word with all my heart and I ask, in accordance with Your Word, that You give me the strength to love each one of my fellows as Jesus loved me. Lord, let me know the compassion that He had. Let me embrace the broken, the lost, the healing and the whole, and love and accept them as Jesus did me. I ask this in His precious name.           Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment