Friday 26 April 2019

Discipline

When we are judged by the Lord, we are being disciplined so that we will not be condemned with the world.                                 1 Cor. 11.32


God disciplines us to repentance. God’s discipline and judgment could well be harsh and severe, but this has not been my experience. For me, His judgment has come through gentle but clear Holy Spirit conviction. It is as if God has not needed to speak from a high and lofty judgement seat. Rather, I am moved by an inner awareness of my wrongdoing, as acute disappointment with my sin, and the strongest yearning to make things right with God, to be restored to sweet relationship with Him and to be able to continue and progress in my walk of faith. 

Perhaps this is God’s way to discipline me. The inner sense of remorse I feel at letting Him, and myself, down is sufficient to awaken me to confession and repentance. 

I do not want to be condemned with the world. Jesus Himself has said I do not belong to the world but He has chosen me out of the world (John 15.19). In my journey I do not want to be “so heavenly minded that I am no earthly good”. I want to be able to reach people, ordinary, suffering, life-living people, with the love of God and the message of Jesus.



Lord God,
I thank You for disciplining me. I am truly sorry for the ways I disappoint You, and disappoint myself also. I know You are gracious to forgive me, and I thank You and receive Your forgiveness. I repent before You. I pray for Your Holy Spirit power to break through my weakness and lead me forward in Your strength.
I want to be a real witness to Jesus. Help me, please. I feel so inadequate, and I am constantly reading of the power that is in You. Lord, touch me with that power. Use me to minister in it, to bring others to You. I love You and want to share that love. Help me do so, in Jesus’ name I ask.             Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment