Monday 22 April 2019

One

But he who unites himself with the Lord is one with him in spirit. 
                           1 Cor.6.17
                                              

These words delight me. As I unite with the Lord I become one with Him in spirit. The reading suggests something that I can do. I take responsibility and action to unite myself with Him.

The Greek word for unite is kollao (Strong’s 2853). It’s basic meaning is to glue. It can be passive or reflexive i.e. ‘to be glued’ or ‘to glue oneself.’ Figuratively it is to stick, to cleave, to join oneself, to keep company.

I’m not so naïve as to think that I simply ‘join myself’ to God, and that’s it! But I do believe my declared act of willingness to be united with Him will be received by Him with delight and positive response.

Why do I desire to join myself with Him?
Because I love Him. I love Him and want to know Him. I want to grow like Him, and to be one with Him in spirit. I want to enjoy Him and see Him enjoy me.

Later in his letter Paul says:
         But the man who loves God is known by God. (8.3)
This gives me further encouragement. I believe God’s Word. I take these words literally at their face value.



Lord God, Wonderful Heavenly Father,
Your Word says that the man who loves You is known by You. I am a man and I love You. I declare again and afresh my love for You. You are wonderful, powerful, loving, merciful, gracious and caring. I love You for who You are. You know me, for Your Word says so. I rejoice in this. I thank You.
Your Word also says that he who unites himself with You is one with You in spirit. Hallelujah!
Lord God, I come to You to join with You. I seek to glue myself to You, that we may never be separated, that I might know You and grow like You, being one with You in spirit.
Your Word says these things. I believe Your Word, so let it be!
Hallelujah! Amen and Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment