Monday 18 February 2019

Unknown

I even found an altar with this inscription: TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. Now what you worship as something unknown I am going to proclaim to you.                     Acts 17.23


Paul has connected with the Athenians in the very centre and exercise of their Hellenistic philosophical society. He has found a point of contact with them from which he proceeds to unfold the gospel. Beginning with their unknown god, he leads them to the real and living God and to the truth that: in him we live and move and have our being. (v28) We also read of their response: some of them sneered, but others said, “We want to hear you again on this subject.” (v 32)

Paul did not need assurance of the outcome before he made the approach. He was so committed to Jesus that he couldn’t help himself sharing the gospel freely.



Lord God,
I love You dearly and I so want to share the good news. I am often held back. I think that my perspective is perhaps a “wafty, impractical, unclear story.” Or I might decide that people are so involved in their hedonistic life style that they do not want to hear “religious talk.” For whatever reason, I feel I am not as available to communicate the message as I would like to be. I confess this to You, and I repent. I ask Your help. Please release me from my own thoughts and limitations and lead me into Your great and abundant will.
I ask that You would enable me to speak meaningfully to people about Jesus, to communicate Him in such a way that will connect with their everyday existence and circumstances and will show then a better way.
Lord Jesus, You are the way. You are the only way. Help me, please, Lord, to share this way with those I meet and especially with those who do not know You.
I want to work with You. Take my innate inability and turn it around for Your good, in Your precious name I ask.           Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment