Sunday 3 February 2019

Requests

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.                      Phil. 4.4-7



The letter to the Philippians shows further clear evidence of Paul’s faith in reality. His salvation is real. His place in Jesus is secure. He is already there and whatever he might experience on earth will not unsettle him or destroy his present realisation of his heavenly heritage. He lives in his confidence in Jesus. This does not mean that he lives without trial or difficulty. Surely Paul experienced more strife than I am ever likely to know. But his faith and his position in Christ took him beyond his present circumstances. He is already living with, and in the assurance of, his heavenly destiny.

I have the same faith as Paul in that I too, earnestly and seriously, embrace Jesus as my Lord and Saviour. Do I have the same magnitude of faith that Paul demonstrates? Do I rejoice in God always, in all things? Am I never anxious but always offering up my needs to Him with thanksgiving? And is that indescribable peace always guarding my heart and mind in Christ Jesus? Or do I sometimes panic, leave God out of my concerns and know restlessness and agitation? The answer is in Him, but perhaps the action is in me!



Lord Jesus,
I’m not sure if these thoughts are leading me to doubt the reality of my faith in You.  I don’t think so.  I do know You. I receive You willingly as my Lord and Saviour. But I want to know You more. I am becoming more aware of the degree to which Paul knew You and I seek to know You likewise. 
You promise if I ask, I will receive. Precious Saviour I ask for more. I ask for more knowledge, understanding, connection and relationship with You. I ask for more substance and evidence of You in me. I ask for opportunities to share this, that it is not a selfish situation within me, but a life-giving ministry to others.
I ask. Please hear my prayer, and answer it, in Your most precious, holy and loving name.                 Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment