Monday 11 February 2019

Listening

Perhaps they will listen and each will turn from his evil way.   Jer. 26.3


I find these words to be most refreshing in the context in which they occur. The Israelites have totally “lost the plot”. They have rebelled and resisted the ways of the Lord and fallen fully into their own sinful desires and ways.

Jeremiah has been raised up by God as His spokesman to this perverse generation. He valiantly proclaims all that God gives him. He is not the most popular person, being constantly threatened with punishment and death.

In the midst of the rebelliousness and anarchy of the people, God speaks forth the above statement. Perhaps they will listen and each will turn from his evil way. If it were not God speaking, we might be tempted to see it as a naïve expression. But God is not naïve. Rather, I see it as a further sign of God’s hope in mankind. He really gives us every opportunity.

For myself, I hope I am not in the predicament that the Israelites of earlier times  were in. Yet I know I need to respond to this statement. I don’t want to pursue evil ways, and I do want to hear God.



Lord God,
I receive today these words that You spoke so long ago. I thank You for this further encouragement, for this is how I take these words.
I do not want to walk in evil ways. I want to walk always in Your way. I ask You to guide me. I want to hear and I want to obey. I ask You to help me. Sometimes I feel that I am trying so hard to listen yet I hear nothing. Help me, Lord. I will continue to read Your Word and wait on You. Help me. Let me hear You. Strengthen me to obey You, in Jesus’ name I ask.                  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment