Thursday 1 November 2018

Teach me

Teach me to do your will, 
for you are my God; 
may your good Spirit 
lead me on level ground.                  Psalm 143.10


Hear, it is in God’s Word! The psalmist asks God to teach him to do the will of his maker. This delights me. I so want to do the will of God. There are times when I can be reasonably confident of what His will is for me. But there are other times when I yearn for a singular leading, yet nothing is sure.

There are times when I hesitate to ask God to show me, feeling that I should already know. Today, the psalmist encourages me. I sense it is right – indeed it is good – to ask God to teach me to do His will, at any time. I am reminded again of His word to ask and you will receive.

And may His good Spirit lead me on level ground. Level ground is where the going is smooth and free from the danger of falling (Ps. 26.12)

         Every valley shall be raised up, 
every mountain and hill made low;   
the rough ground shall become level, 
the rugged places a plain.                 Isa. 40.4




Lord God,
I thank You for this word of enlightenment and encouragement today. I echo the psalmist as I ask You to teach me to do Your will, to do only what You would have me do. Yet it often seems so difficult to discern what this might be! 
Teach me, dear Lord. Teach me and lead me. Lead me by Your good and Holy Spirit. I pray for level ground where I might know the power, wonder and joy of almighty God, and see Your power at work all around me.
Precious Father, teach me to do Your will.            Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment