Tuesday 20 November 2018

Lord

Look to the Lord and his strength; 
seek his face always.                                 Psalm 105.4

But they soon forgot what he had done 
and did not wait for his counsel.                Psalm 106.13


Psalms 105 and 106 are amazing summaries of Israel’s history in God presented from two different perspectives. Psalm 105 focuses on God’s good work, whilst psalm 106 speaks much about the Israelites recalcitrance and their hindrance to the good work of the Lord.

I think the two verses I have selected ably touch on this problem. Furthermore, these verses speak strongly to me today in reminder of the way in which I should conduct my own walk with the Lord. I shall review them in reverse order.

Firstly, do I tend to forget all that the Lord has done for me? He is all-knowing, all-powerful, and all-caring. His plans for me are plans that will prosper me and not harm me. I would do well to reflect on my history, and remember – and rejoice in – all that the Lord has already done for me.

And what has happened in those times when I have not waited for His counsel?
Of course, He has looked after me. But I have not made it easy, and I have endured several (and some quite long and most painful) unpleasant episodes in my life because I did it “my way” and not His way.

And the answer is so simple:
         
         Look to the Lord and his strength; 
seek his face always.               

This answer provokes a question in me. Is God my Lord or isn’t He? If He is my Lord, then He is Lord (master and controller) of every part of me and of all that I am and all that I do. I say that God is my Lord. I must act in accordance with my spoken allegiance.

This God who is my Lord is greater than all else. He can do anything. As I recall that His plans for me will prosper and not harm me, I am reminded that, in Him, I can do anything. I have sensed, for some time now, a growing confidence. This is a confidence not in me, but in Him. As I bring God into any, and every, situation, I can be most confident of the right result.


Lord God,
I rejoice. I feel, in some new way, that I can today call You “Lord” with more meaning than has ever before occurred for me.

You are truly my Lord, and I lay the whole of my life before You. I heed Your Word to “stop and wait”. I wait upon You, Lord.

I am unclear how I should conduct this time of waiting but I know to place my confidence in You. If waiting is being still – and Your Word surely encourages this of me – then I shall do so. And I will know that You will lead and direct me as You will.

I am Yours, Lord. Take me and have Your way in me. Show me Your face, I seek it with all of my being. I come to You, Father, Son, and Spirit, in the name of my Lord Jesus.             Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment