Friday 9 November 2018

My song

The Lord is my strength and my song; 
he has become my salvation. 
He is my God, and I will praise him, 
my father’s God, and I will exalt him.                 Exod. 15.2


Moses leads the Israelites in a wonderful psalm (The Song of the Sea, Exod. 15.1-18) of praise and thanksgiving to God. He is their true God, the God of salvation, the God of deliverance, the God of provision and healing.

As the Israelites made a hurried escape from Egypt, the powerful Egyptians decided to follow and recapture, reclaim their servants of bondage.

         The enemy boasted,
         “I will pursue, I will overtake them.
I will divide the spoils;   
I will gorge myself on them. 
I will draw my sword 
and my hand will destroy them.”                (v9)

But God was protecting Israel. With the mere blowing of His breath, the sea covered the forces – the great forces – of Egypt.

         They sank like lead in the mighty waters.   (v10)

Indeed this is worthy of the praise of the people.

         Who among the gods is like you, O LORD? 
Who is like you – 
majestic in holiness, 
awesome in glory, 
working wonders? 
You stretched out your right hand and the earth swallowed them.
                                                                        (vv 11,12)

God had saved His people. But the story does not end there. He had rescued them so that He may lead them into a holy dwelling place, a place where they might live with Him in love and plenty.

         
In your unfailing love you will lead 
the people you have redeemed.
 In your strength you will guide them 
to your holy dwelling.             (v13)

God is unchanging. He is the same yesterday, today and forever. He is faithful and fully true to His Word. What He did for the Israelites He can do for me. He loves me, He is with me. He will never leave me nor forsake me. He is for me. I pray He will lead me out of a painful worldly situation into sweet communion with Him in His holy dwelling.

Lord God,
I am mindful of You all around me. As I sit in this pleasant morning sun, warm and relaxed, I hear the sounds of birds and insects, and I feel You are reminding me that You are here. Your hand is in everything. I thank You. I praise You. I exalt You. You are the mighty God. You are my God and Lord.
Holy heavenly Father, I thank You for rescuing me. You have saved me from all manner of evil. You have protected me from myself. You are my deliverer. I pray You will keep me safe. Protect me from that which is not of You.
Lead me, precious Saviour, further and further into You. I ask You to guide me to Your holy dwelling. Bring me to the mountain of Your inheritance. Let me enter Your dwelling, and abide in Your sanctuary.
Gracious, loving Father, receive my love. Take me and consecrate me into Your service. Draw my will into oneness with Your will. May Your name be hallowed in the whole of my life. May Your kingdom come and Your will be done, in and through me
                  in Jesus name I ask.                 Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment