Saturday 17 November 2018

Confession

Blessed is he
whose transgressions are forgiven, 
whose sins are covered. 
Blessed is the man 
whose sin the LORD does not count 
against him 
and in whose spirit is no deceit.                 Psalm 32.1,2


Psalm 32 begins by proclaiming blessing on the miserable sinner. His transgressions are forgiven and his sins are covered. The Lord does not count his sin against him and there is no deceit in his spirit.

Yet, who is this man, this sinner? And how does he come to receive blessing from the Lord? Verses 3 and 4 tell of his agony and suffering, whilst containing his sin within. Then, in verse 5, he acknowledges his sin in confession to God, and you forgave the guilt of my sin.

Confession of sin which leads to receipt of forgiveness from God is the most wonderful and releasing act. Yet it requires integrity on the part of the one confessing. Confessing sin is no mere recitation of mistakes but, rather, an acknowledgement of wrong or erroneous thoughts, words, or actions, made with a desire to not repeat the sin. This is the hard part for me because my repetitive sin seems to be such that I am unable to break its pattern. This, also, I believe I must surrender to God and ask His help to totally break its hold on me. 

The psalmist urges me to pray to God while He may be found (v6). He is there, waiting to hear from me. He is the place wherein I can hide myself. He is my protection and my deliverance (v7).

Let me receive the words of the psalm as the very words of God to me:
         “I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; 
I will counsel you and watch over you.”  (v8)

I heed these words. I need them, and I need to surrender myself to Him.





Lord God,
I come before You with earnest and sincere request for Your instruction and teaching. Please counsel me and watch over me. I believe You long to help me, to release me from the hold of sin, and to lead me forward in new life in You. This, of course, is my heart’s deepest desire and also my hope – my joyous, wonderful hope – in You.
Lord, mighty God, You can do ALL things. Help me, I humbly ask.
Instruct me and teach me the way I should go. Lead me in Your way, Your full and perfect way. Counsel me and watch over me.
My deep desire is to do Your will, to live in full harmony with You, and to be used mightily by You. Hear my cry! Examine my heart! And lead me in a fulfilment that will delight You. Remove the barriers of sin. Please release me from these present hindrances,
         In Jesus’ name I ask.               Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment