Tuesday 13 November 2018

Choice

Those who cling to worthless idols
 forfeit the grace that could be theirs.                  Jonah 2.8


This wonderful line is contained in Jonah’s prayer of remorse. He may have spoken it from a deeply personal perspective. I think there is a trace of this, for Jonah backed away from the task that God set for him. More than this, he made positive moves to head in the opposite direction. But God, of course, caught up with him. And Jonah’s response is contained in the words of his prayer.

Certainly Jonah acted in a way that would forfeit God’s grace to him. And the message is applicable to all, at all times in the history of mankind. Everyone has a god. For some it is the Lord God. For others it may be different things – material possessions, social standing, public acclaim, or political power.

In truth, all these things are worthless compared to seeking out, and living in true and deep relationship with God.

The grace of God can overwhelm. It can repair and restore. God’s grace will always build up, never tear down. God’s grace is the most real manifestation of His love. I am whole in God’s grace. I am secure and confident. I have purpose. I am loved, and I am truly able to love.




Lord God,
I thank You that Your grace is extended to me. I receive it humbly and without familiarity. I pray for those who need to know Your grace, who need to receive Your grace and abide in it.
As surely as You looked after Jonah, I know Your heart is for all people. Lord, I pray for my family. Touch them with Your grace. Bring a life-long response of acceptance from them. Join them to You and grow us into a wonderful, loving and strong Christian witness.
I ask this in Jesus’ name.          Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment