Wednesday 14 November 2018

Heard

Away from me, all you who do evil, 
for the Lord has heard my weeping. 
The Lord has heard my cry for mercy; 
the Lord accepts my prayer.                       Psalm 6.8,9



Psalm 6 is a penitential psalm, and an appeal for mercy. The palmist appears to be ill (vv 2,3). Is the Lord chastening him for sin?  He seeks deliverance. He does not want God to impose the full measure for sin, for then he would die. He pleads God’s mercy. He urges that praise of God is at stake. (Who praises you from the grave? v5). He groans in suffering and distress. Then a note of confidence returns. He sees a response to his pleas. God has heard his weeping and his cry for mercy. God has accepted his prayer. His enemies will be disgraced when the Lord responds.

I have much in common with the psalmist. I may suffer, and even despair! I can call out to God in penitence and faith. And I can be assured that God will hear. He will hear my weeping and my cries for mercy. He will accept my prayer. He will answer my prayer. Why do I know this? God accepts me. He loves me. He receives me. He is for me. Hallelujah! Praise my God.



Lord God,
I rejoice with the psalmist. I may suffer illness and depravation. I may struggle and experience difficulty. Bu You are always there. I can cry out to You. You will hear me. You will accept the prayers I offer You. You will respond. I am secure in you, for You are unchanging.
I thank you for Your guardianship of me. I acknowledge Your Lordship and I release myself totally into Your keeping. Lead me through this day. Let Your will be fulfilled in me,
                  in Jesus name I ask.                 Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment