Wednesday 3 October 2018

Upheld

If the Lord delights in a man’s way, 
he makes his steps firm; 
though he stumble, he will not fall, 
for the Lord upholds him with his hand.                      Psalm 37.23,24


Psalm 37 is a wonderful song of encouragement. It’s theme of contrast between the wicked and the righteous gives much insight and hope to those who struggle to do good in the Lord. Godly wisdom pervades the whole of the psalm. It exhorts us not to fret or be envious of evil men and their apparent success, for it will not last.

I have seen a wicked and ruthless man 
flourishing like a green tree in its native soil, 
but he soon passed away and was no more; 
though I looked for him, he could not be found. (vv 35,36)

More than this, there is great encouragement for the righteous – for all of us who aspire to be good and Godly in the Lord.

Trust in the Lord and do good; 
dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.(v3)

Trust in the Lord is Godly fear in right outworking. God is good and anyone trusting in Him will know and experience the goodness that is God. 
The phrase dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture encourages me to receive what comes to me from the good (and Godly) provision in life. I am not to shun the benefits that might come my way, but accept them and enjoy them.



Lord God,
I love you. I desire the closest relationship with You, and the fullest measure of You in me. I yearn to show this to others, to share it with them and to bring them into real, deep and sweet relationship with You.
I determine not to be swayed by what I see of the world around me, nor to be influenced by its ways and apparent successes.
I wait upon You. I will be still, my gracious Lord, and wait upon You.
I trust You, Lord. I surrender completely to You. Have Your way in me, in Jesus’ name I ask.             Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment