Tuesday 9 October 2018

Broken and contrite

The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; 
a broken and contrite heart, 
O God, you will not despise.                      Psalm 51.17


NIV Study Bible notes: What pleases God more than sacrifices is a humble heart that looks to him when troubles crush and penitently pleads for mercy when sin has been committed.

This beautiful psalm is David’s humble prayer for forgiveness and cleansing. David had committed the gross sin of adultery with Bathsheba, following which he had arranged the murder of Uriah. (2 Sam. 12) He had sinned greatly against God: Then David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the LORD.” His penitence is genuine. In despair of his own foolish action, he offers God a broken spirit and contrite heart.  



Lord God,
I thank You for the amazing person of David. He did many foolish things, committing grievous sin against You. He also did many fine, valiant and honourable deeds. He was truly a mixture in character. But You loved him. He is called a man after Your own heart. Dear Lord, what a wonderful way to be seen. To be close to Your heart suggests to me that David was “of the right heart.” He himself commends a broken and contrite heart as being true to You. His words indicate that he is so.
Lord, may I always offer You a contrite spirit. May my heart always be open to You, broken and contrite in manner, yielding and ready to be taken by you and moulded to Your way.
I offer You my heart. This is me, Lord. The most of me I can give You is my heart, for the rest of me comes with it.
Take me, I’m Yours.                Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment