Wednesday 20 September 2017

Real support

Moreover, as you Philippians know, in the early days of your acquaintance with the gospel, when I set out from Macedonia, not one church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving, except you only.                                           Phil. 4.15


Paul’s life can readily be seen as a lonely one. He needed financial as well as emotional support. When he set out from Macedonia he had already established relationship with a number of communities. None of these supported him, save only the believers at Philippi. They appear as true friends to him. They gave willingly and generously – to him. They received him, and they looked forward to receiving news of him. Their actions illustrate the reality of Christian love. They appreciated him, and they showed that appreciation in very real ways.

Paul points out that this happened in the early days of their faith in Jesus. He’s now writing to them some time later, and their love and commitment to him is as strong as ever. There is a real danger of a believer starting strong in the faith, and then dropping back. This was not so with the Philippians and this is a good example to us all.

I am called to support fellow Christians, to live in the fullness of relationship with them, giving and receiving such as will be pleasing to God. I am called to this from the moment of my conversion, and it is to continue – ever strong and healthy.



Lord God,
I am reminded of the commitment I have, in You, to others. May I be steadfast in loving and supporting my neighbour as You would have me do. Lead me in this. Give me opportunities and let me shine the Christ light in my journey.                    Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment