Friday 22 September 2017

Fragrant

I have received full payment and even more; I am amply supplied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent. They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God.                                                    Phil. 4.18


Paul is most grateful for all that the Philippians have done for him. He has received and he has been blessed. I wonder if, in giving, the Philippians were aware of the true impact of their offering and contribution. Paul reminds them, and what a wonderful reminder it is.

He describes the Philippian gifts as a fragrant offering. Fragrant is sweet-smelling. It could also be heavily scented. This is how Paul viewed the Philippians’ loving gestures. I see it also as a view shared by God, for Paul tells us the gifts are pleasing to God. They are an acceptable sacrifice.

When I do something good for someone I may not be aware of the full implications of my act. Indeed, I do not need to know, for this is not my motivation. But what a wonderful blessing it would be if my actions were to form a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice which is pleasing to God.

My motivation is to help people where I can. I pray for God’s enabling, strength and opportunities to do this. And if, perchance, Paul’s words to the Philippians apply in these cases, then may God be praised, and God alone.



Holy Father,
Help me, please, to help those that I can. I pray for opportunities and for all I might need to follow through in You. Share with me, if You will, Your heart for this troubled world. Journey with me to bring Your love to the starving, to introduce the thirsty to the waters of life, and to show them the way to You.                            Amen.








My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").


No comments:

Post a Comment