Monday 18 September 2017

Appreciation

Yet it was good of you to share my troubles.                                                         Phil. 4.14


Paul has said he is strengthened by Christ to get through, and to “do all things”. This could be seen as him saying, “I’ve got Christ, I don’t need anyone else.” It may be true that when God strengthens us we need not draw on others for strength. We may not need them for strength, but their support is precious, and to be welcomed at every opportunity.

Paul recognises the support he has received from the Philippians. They had sent gifts to him. They had released Epaphroditus to assist him in his time of tribulation. They were most assuredly thinking of him. He knew this and he appreciated it. He appreciated the Philippians. Their support was significant.

No one misses out when human support is offered. There may be times when absolutely nothing can be done to alleviate the pain or suffering. There may be no perceptible, real contribution that we can make to the plight of another. But our mere presence or acknowledgment of their struggle and the concern we show, and the care we offer can be hugely helpful.

Paul was appreciative of the Philippians’ support. I am appreciative of the support I receive. I know that God is my provider, but I am also grateful for those brothers and sisters who stand alongside me in encouragement. This is truly family in action – first the Father and then countless brothers and sisters.



Dear Lord,
I thank You for Your every provision. I thank You also for the support I receive from the brothers and sisters You have given to me. I appreciate You, all You have given me, and the precious people You send to me. Thank You.                Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment