Tuesday 12 September 2017

Extended care

I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it.                       Phil. 4.10


Here we see care extended between one part of the body and another. Paul comments on the renewing of the Philippians’ concern for him, but his next remark suggests that, maybe, they had never lost their concern. There was simply no way they could communicate that to him.

We are called to be a loving and caring people. This is an important and wonderful part of our living out our faith. But it also brings trials. There may be times when I feel it difficult to be loving and caring towards someone. They may have said or done something hurtful to me. This is where I am challenged. Do I seek retribution, even vengeance? Or do I extend grace into the situation and look on the perpetrator with forgiveness?

Is remorse and seeking forgiveness part of the other person’s behaviour? This could affect me, but I believe it shouldn’t. Forgiveness is my choice. It is entirely up to me to release myself, and the other person(s), from unforgiveness. Should I seek restitution or restoration? This might be helpful, but it is of no real consequence.

The reality is, what will I choose to do?

I would like to think I’d follow Jesus and do what He would have me do. I don’t know if I would readily take this path!



Lord Jesus,
This verse leads me into contemplation of the right action to take when I appear to have been wronged. I look to You, Lord. Help me to see the way You would have me go. I hear You say, “Be gracious”. I want this now when nothing is amiss. Lead me and help me to want this also when things might be different. Help me to do things Your way, please. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment