Monday 4 September 2017

Gentleness in obedience

Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.                                     Phil. 4.5


What, I wonder, does Paul exactly mean by “gentleness”? Perhaps he looks for understanding that is tolerant but firm, a way that helps the hurting but which might also challenge if such is needed.

The NIV Study Bible (p 1808) refers to “Christlike consideration for others.”  This is, perhaps, where we put ourselves in the place of others, but bring to the situation any insights that the Holy Spirit might give to us.

The NIV Study Bible further notes that such gentleness “is especially essential in church leaders”. These I see as those commissioned by Jesus, in the manner after Peter, to “Feed my lambs”, “Take care of my sheep”, “Feed my sheep”. I deliberately refer here to those commissioned by Jesus, for it is His work. If we are called, by Him, we are to be worthy of our calling. It is His work, not ours. The leading comes from Him and we are to be open to it at all times. We honour Him by our obedience.

Further, the glory goes to Him. We do not glory ourselves in what He may achieve through us. We are His hands and feet, and we need to be led and controlled by Him. As we act in gentleness, in obedience to Him, so He comes forth in who we are and in what we do – The Lord is near.

As I go forward, let me seek to minimise me and maximise Him – in me!



Lord Jesus,
I love You and my desire is to serve and please You with all of my being. I surrender to You. I look to You to show me the way and to lead me in that way.
I acknowledge You to be “the Way”. I want to go no other way. I give my faults and failings to You. I ask You to lead me through. Hear my prayer, in Your precious name I ask.          Amen.







My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").


No comments:

Post a Comment