Sunday 9 April 2017

Who's at fault?

I struck you and all the products of your toil with blight and mildew and hail; yet you did not return to me, says the LORD.                                                                 Haggai 2.17


The Lord struck the people with hardships. These are recorded early in the book of Haggai, but there is no question of the people turning to God either in question or in complaint. The people seem to be accepting of their situation and adverse conditions as a natural and normal happening.

I have heard of other situations where people have blamed God with comments such as “Why would God let this happen to me?” It’s as if God is the bad guy punishing innocent victims.

The story in Haggai is different. Here, the people could have responded by seeking from God knowledge of anything they might have done, or omitted to do, that caused the negative response of hardship or the lack of full provision. Instead of this happening, God had to take the initiative and point out to the people why they had experienced deprivation.

In times of difficulty it would be well for me to consider whether my situation is in any way the consequence of my own actions or inactions. This may not necessarily be so, but it could help me greatly if I seek God out and check with Him rather than Him having to point out to me any failing on my part.

I want to please Him in all things. I sometimes (often?) fail. I know Him to be forgiving, and I pray that He does free me when I stray, and He will re-establish me on the right path. But I pray also for an alertness and a willingness to connect with Him when correction may be needed.





Lord God,

Help me, please, to be willing always to turn to You, but especially when I stray. Let me not hold back from seeking Your correction, in Jesus’ name I ask. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment