Saturday 1 April 2017

Blessing

Then he led them out as far as Bethany, and, lifting up his hands, he blessed them.         
                                                                                                                        Luke 24.50


These words conjure up the most wonderful picture for me. I see Jesus with His uplifted hands, blessing me. Just days before the disciples experienced this blessing, the same arms and hands were stretched out in acute suffering on behalf of us all. The hands of suffering made the way for the hands of blessing.

The words capture the time when Jesus blessed the first disciples, but His blessing is for all. For all, that is, who will receive it. We further read that Jesus withdrew from earth to heaven while He was in the very act of blessing. His physical presence may have been removed but the hands of blessing have not been withdrawn.

I think I have truly experienced a “God moment” today, for the image of Jesus with hands lifted up in blessing is so real to me I can almost see Him before me right now. But, more than this, I see this same image filling the sky, yes, filling that huge space that sits above the earth. He is blessing us. He will enfold us, worldwide, in the beauty of His blessing. But we must respond. It is for us to receive and accept this wonderful offer of life, of vibrant and exciting life, life in the here and now but with the assurance of a glorious life in eternity. I see the picture and I respond. I pray for a growing response all over the globe.





Loving and Gracious God,

I see Your hands of blessing extending over all and sundry. I receive You, and I pray for folk all over the world, that they will freely come to You, accept Your offer of love, and live hereafter in the blessing. I thank You, Lord, in Jesus’ name.                   Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment