Monday 17 April 2017

Recognised

So the people of Israel gave the Levites the towns with their pasture lands.                        
                                                                                                                      1 Chron. 6.64


The people recognised the office of the Levites as called especially to minister to the Lord. The Levites held no property in their own right, but the people made places available to them. God’s workers were honoured by the people.

As I reflect upon the history of God’s people, and perhaps particularly the story of the Christian church, I wonder at the respect afforded to the “called” workers of God by the people. There have been times, sometimes dire and threatening days in the Christian life, when respect and obedience had been sought by the authorities by oppressive means and in most inappropriate ways. I do not see Jesus in this! There have been other times, thankfully, when men and women of God have earned respect through their love of others, through obedience to God, and by a humble passage through life. There has been no “demanding” by these people, but a genuine, and ongoing, giving. And their giving has been responded to with love and respect.

I wonder if this was the manner in which the people of Israel gave property to the Levites! I like to think it was. And I look to see such honour and respect afforded to the men and women of God today, and I mean all the men and women of God and not just the paid workers! Sadly, much of society seems averse to this, choosing often to malign or belittle the Christian way. I sense this grieves God. Yet I know He will not be mocked. I know also that He will receive my prayer.





Lord God,

O pray for the faithful today who uphold You in the midst of difficulties. I pray protection and provision for these dear souls. May they be strengthened and upheld by You. And may their witness be noticed, received and acted upon, in Jesus’ name I pray.          Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment