Wednesday 19 April 2017

Service, and willingness

And they would spend the night near the house of God; for on them lay the duty of watching, and they had charge of opening it every morning.               1 Chron. 9.27


The Chronicler is referring to the four chief gatekeepers of the house of the Lord. They were Levites and their charge was the safekeeping of the chambers and the treasures of the house of God. Others and their duties are listed in succeeding verses of this book. Some had charge of utensils, some were appointed over furniture, over the choice flour, the wine, oil, incense and spices. Others prepared the spices and still others were in charge of making the flat cakes, of looking after the rows of bread to prepare them for each Sabbath. And some were singers. In short, different people had different responsibilities in the service of God, and they each needed to execute their duties with diligence and love.

And this continues. Through the ages, God has gifted His people with certain, and often extremely specific, responsibilities. Holy Spirit giftings come into play as we give ourselves to the part that God would have us live out in His creation.

Some people are hesitant, even reluctant, to use the gifts that God gives. They question His call on them. I have found that the greatest “gift” I can offer to God is my willingness. If a task presents itself before me, I do not need to waste time and effort deliberating on whether I’m properly and fully equipped for the job. I simply give myself to it and, if God is in it, He will provide whatever resources I may need, and I haven’t really wasted anything by giving it a go.





Gracious God,

I sense there are certain specifics that You have for me to do. I do not question these, nor do I presume which I will do and which not. I simply give myself to You. I make myself fully available, knowing that You will guide me and equip me as necessary. I rejoice in Your service.                                 Amen.






My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").

No comments:

Post a Comment