Saturday 29 April 2017

Established by God

King Hiram of Tyre sent messengers to David, along with cedar logs, and masons and carpenters to build a house for him. David then perceived that the LORD had established him as king over Israel, and that his kingdom was highly exalted for the sake of his people Israel.                                                                         1 Chron. 14.1,2


The actions of Hiram of Tyre indicate an international acknowledgement and acceptance of David as King of Israel. He himself sees God’s affirmation of him.

Nothing is impossible to God. I have no difficulty in seeing God behind the scenes working on, and with, Hiram. Indeed, there are other examples in the Bible story of God working with worldly forces to bring about His plans (e.g. Nebuchadnezzar, Cyrus).

If I apply this thinking to the world situation today, I could be tempted to ask “Where is God in this?”, “Why doesn’t He act?”, “Why does He allow the various injustices that play out on the world stage, especially the persecution of those who faithfully follow Him?”, “Why, even in the most stable of countries, does He tolerate damaging and destructive behaviour?”

I sense this is where I need to exercise faith, and believe that God may not be inactive, but realise also that His ways are not my ways. I will trust God but I will also keep myself open to Him and alert to His leading in my life. All of history is known to this omniscient Being. He holds the past, the present and the future.

God led David diligently and faithfully. He is there for the world today. He is there for me. I will go with Him.





Lord God,

I pray for the world today, and for my place in it. As You led David and made the way for him so, please, lead us, and me, in Your ways. I give myself to Your plan and pray for wisdom and constant alertness to Your ways for me. I ask for courage to be obedient in all things.                 Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment